Thursday, October 4, 2007

An interview with Yoo Changhyuk, 9-dan

Yoo Changhyuk, 9-dan, who is 41 years old, is currently keeping 7 games straight winning record

He beat lot of good players, including: Heo Yongho(twice), Kim Jiseok, Cho Hunhyun, Kong Jie, Park Yeonghun and Kim Kiyoung.

We decided to meet him and ask some questions:

What can you tell us about your current life?
I have a Go school and spend all my free time by teaching students. Also, sometimes I work for Baduk TV and take part in Go tournaments

Congratulations on your results in Samsung cup! What can you tell us about this tournament?
I don't have chances to play in World Go Championships often, because of my low positions in Korean Rating, so I have to make my best in every international tournament I play. I won such championships 6 times and I feel that I am still able to do it again.

What do you think about your next opponent – Gu Li, 9-dan?
I won some games against Gu Li in the past, but they have no meaning. Now he is one of the top masters in the world and everyone think that his chances must be higher. Any way, I am not afraid of him and will try to make my best.

1.5 years ago you set the record of 1000 wins in professional tournaments. Were you happy?
I was not counted my wins and it was a big surprise for me. It takes me 20 years to reach it. As well as I know, there are only 4 players in Korea, who won more than 1000 games.

Your Go school was opened 3 years ago, but still you were not able to produce any professionals. What is the reason?
I try to work with beginners, who has talent and it seems that we will need few years more. It's possible to accept already strong students, who learned Go in other schools, but I don't like this idea. Also I always ask the permission of their former school directors before accepting such students. I feel, that some students I have, are already on pro level, but recently it's not enough. They must be able to show good result on pro arena.

What can you tell us about your family?
I don't want to answer this question now. ( A.D.: Few years ago Yoo Changhyuk, 9-dan lost his wife, who was ill after giving birth to his child )

Translated from korean by Alexander Dinerchtein

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all those interesting interviews.

Go news said...

Thank you for reply !

All are welcome! :-)