Saturday, September 29, 2007

An interview with Gu Li, 9-dan

Gu Li, 9-dan won 9 games straight (against Chang Hao, Wang Yao, Tuo Jiaxi, Li Kang, Wang Haoyang, Cho Hanseung(twice), Cho Hyeyeon and Kang Dongyun). We decided to meet him and ask about this record.

How many games straight did you win? Do you know?
Yes, I know!

What is your own record?
7 years ago I won 16 games straight, but after that I was not able to break this record. Maybe I can do it this time! It’s very hard to win so many games straight, because all opponents on my road are very strong!

Which games were the hardest?
My game against Chang Hao, first of all. Also it was difficult to beat Cho Hanseung and Li Kang. I cannot remember any easy wins at all!

What was the most painful game you lose during this year?
It was my game against Han Sanghoon, 1-dan (Korea), 12 LG second round. My condition was not good and I made lot of bad moves. After that game I saw lot of articles with titles like "Gu Li lost to unknown Korean 1-dan". It was painful to read them

What do you think about Lee Changho, 9-dan. Is he still World #1 player?
Yes, without any doubt. He is losing more games than before, but any way he is the best master in the world

If we make a united Chinese-Korean-Japanese rating list, which place will you occupy?
I think, I must be somewhere in best 10. First one is Lee Changho, second is Lee Sedol. It's hard to say who the next one is. Maybe Cho U, maybe Park Yeonghun or Choi Chelhan.

Translated from korean by Alexander Dinerchtein

No comments: