Thursday, April 19, 2007

An interview with Han Sanghoon, Korean 1-dan

Han Sanghoon played his first game in Korean professional tournaments less than 2 months ago. Now his score is 12-1 ( http://www.go4go.net/v2/modules/collection/byplayer2.php?pid=1086 ). We will ask him few questions.

- What is the secret of your recent performance?
- There are no secrets, no magic. The most important thing is to play seriously. There are many masters who answer the last move of their opponent without deep thinking. I try to think, even if the move seems obvious.
- We can say that you achieved pro status late (Han was 20 years old). How do you feel about it?
- Yes, quite late. I played in the main leagues (for best 10 candidates) for becoming professional 8 times and was always missing my chances. It's still hard to believe that I have now reached my goal! I quit the insei league because of my age (the age limit is 18) and that put a lot of pressure on me.
- When did you start playing Go?
- I was 8 years old when my parents found me a Go club not far from my home. My father loves Go very much! Later I entered the famous school of Kim Won, 6-dan ( http://www.go4go.net/v2/modules/collection/byplayer2.php?pid=637 ). I took part in some tournaments, won some prizes, and decided to study Go seriously.
- LG cup will be your first international tournament. Which players would you like to meet?
- Recently, the Chinese junior players have become very strong and I would like to meet them, Chen Yaoye and Zhou Ruiyang first of all. I played some top players on the Tygem server, who we know to be junior Chinese professionals. My score was about 50-50 and now I would like to meet them in real tournaments.
- How useful do you think it is it to play Go online?
- There are some extremely strong players among the Tygem 9-dans. Of course, we may learn a lot from them!
- What are your future plans?
- I would like to play Go like Lee Changho and become a regular participant in the final stages of pro tournaments!
- What are your first and second goals?
- I would like to take a title one day. I entered the Korean league this time and will try my best. My second goal would be to enter the final stages of international tournaments.

Translated from korean Alexandre Dinerchtein

No comments: