Tuesday, December 25, 2007

An interview with Park Yeonghun, 9-dan, the winner of the Korean GS Galtex cup

An interview with Park Yeonghun, 9-dan, the winner of the Korean GS Galtex cup.

Congratulations! You surprised us a lot by winning the title after losing first 2 games!
Yes, I think, that it was over too. I thought that I already lost the match, so it was easier to play the 3rd game.

What can you tell us about the last game?
Lee Sedol, 9-dan made a big mistake in the opening and I thought, that I can finish the game easily. Later the position suddenly became close.

You will play him again in the final match of the Samsung World Go championship. What do you think about your chances?
In my previous interview I said, that he is the most difficult opponent in the world. I still think so, even after winning the GS Galtex cup.

You beat Gu Li, 9-dan in the semifinal of the Samsung cup. What can you say about that match?
I was behind in the deciding game and thought that my chances are close to zero. Later he was too passive in the endgame and gave me the chance.

Can we say that Gu Li's style and Lee Sedol’s style are similar?
I don't think so. It's possible to imagine the next move, which will be played by Gu Li, but Lee Sedol , 9-dan plays so many unexpected moves!

As a GS Galtex titleholder, which master you would you like to meet in the title match next year?
I know that the challenger will be strong, but if possible, I want to avoid another match with Lee Sedol, 9-dan.

Translated from korean by Alexander Dinerchtein

No comments: